Recipe by whatsachef?
This recipe is from a former friend who made this religiously. Makes a lot!!!!! I don't know where she got it, but it is very good. Very cheesy, too! If you like Velveeta, this is the recipe to use.
Top Review by browneyedleo730
I didn't have Mexican velveeta on hand so I used the regular stuff. I don't recommend making that substitution because the result was very blah. At first all I could taste was the sour cream so I doubled up on the velveeta, but that made the dish worse. I served the chicken and rice on flour torillas, which only added to the blahness. I think the dish would have been a lot better if I had used the Mexican velveeta or added salsa (plus it would have added color to an otherwise unattractive dish). Other than that, it was a snap to make. I would estimate that from start to finish, it took me +/- 20 minutes.
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta Mexican cheese, cubed
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2 cups fat free sour cream
- 4 cups instant rice
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat bottom of skillet with oil.
- Add chicken. Cook approximately 10-15 minutes on med-hi heat or until chicken is white clear through. Set aside.
- Boil the water with bouillon until cubes are dissolved, then add rice. Remove from heat and cover 5 mins or until rice is set. (If there is any excess water, this is okay. Leave in for mixing).
- Transfer chicken and rice to a large stock pot. Add velveeta cubes and sour cream. Mix well. Over medium heat, stir frequently to prevent sticking on the bottom until cheese is no longer lumpy. Serve hot. Refridgerate leftovers. REHEAT WELL.