Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Green, Gooey, Good. So many veggies, you'll have your daily servings done in one hit! Try adding more bell peppers in different colors for a nice presentation.
- 4 ounces ziti pasta, uncooked
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn, thawed
- 2 tablespoons green chilies, chopped
- 8 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook ziti according to package directions without salt; drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a Dutch oven or large pot with cooking spray. Add onions, garlic, carrots, green pepper, and zucchini. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, simmering 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn, and chilies. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add pasta and cheeses, tossing gently.
- Coat 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon mixture into dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
This recipe was alright, but I didn't find it great. I won't be making it again sorry.
This recipe is good. I used it as a starting point substituting with things I already had in the house. My variation included whole wheat elbow macaroni pasta, no green peppers, 1 can of tomato paste with water (for the tomato sauce), mixed beans (instead of black only), cottage cheese (instead of the ricotta) and a nutritional yeast blend for the monterey jack cheese. I also added some red pepper flakes and sriracha for heat. Very tasty and flexible recipe. Thanks for the idea!
This is good stuff! Nutritious and delicious. I don't care for onions so left them out; I compensated in volume by adding a little more of the other veggies and in flavor by using tomatoes with chilis (Rotel) for the canned tomatoes. I couldn't resist adding just a little monterey jack cheese to the top of the casserole. Absolutely loved this - thanks for posting this winner!