Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is easily made vegetarian or vegan by substituting Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles for the beef & using soy cheese. Feel free to edit the spices to your own taste. Sometimes a dash of red pepper is nice. ;) I made this up & Mom wants it on paper for her Cardiac Rehab Cookbook & Wilderness Advanced Life Support course menu. Her ya go, Mom!!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup rice
- 4 bell peppers, I use a combo of green bell & poblano
- 1 lb cooked ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ground black pepper
- jalapeno pepper, minced, to taste (optional)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (or a combination) or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese (or a combination) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (or a combination)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Saute onion & garlic in oil over medium heat until softened.
- Boil rice in salted water until just soft. Drain.
- Halve peppers & remove seeds. Place in 9x13" baking dish, insides up.
- In a large bowl, combine well the cooked ground beef (or defrosted soy crumbles), sauteed onions & garlic, cooked rice, rinsed & drained black beans, undrained can of diced tomatoes, oregano, salt, cumin, pepper & jalapenos, if using.
- Pour 'filling' mixture over peppers, top with cheese & bake until hot & bubbly, about 30 minutes.
I made these with ground turkey, as I do not eat beef and they turned out very nicely. Also, I cut the amount of cheese way back and we did not miss it as all. We used peppers from the garden and let them be the star of the dish and it turned out great. Made for ZWT8.
Really yummy quick meal. I used brown rice, and about 4 times the amount for a complete meal. Also used less salt and cheese for our tastes. I think you could use very little cheese and for maximum impact grate it over as it comes out of the oven.
I have made this twice now and everyone loves it. Both times I used the mini bellpeppers. Instead of pouring over them, I stuck them in the top of the casserole before covering with cheese. This is delicious.