Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from a very old cookbook that no longer has a cover. My son, as a teenager, loved this and had me make it for his football team. They just inhaled it! I did not include the standing time in the recipe.
- 10 slices bread, buttered
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 4 ounces green chilies, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup canned corn, drained
- 7 ounces canned tuna, drained and flaked
- 4 large eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- taco sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 325°.
- Cover bottom of shallow, greased baking dish with 1/3 of the bread (cut to fit).
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese, chili peppers, corn and tuna.
- Cover with another layer of bread and sprinkle with remaining cheese, chili peppers, corn and tuna.
- Place the final layer of bread on top.
- Mix eggs and milk and pour over casserole.
- Let stand in the refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until custard is set.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Don't forget to pass the taco sauce!