Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
Got this recipe out of a magazine and it looked so good I had to try it. Really great for a light summer dinner or lunch. (Prep time includes refrigeration).
- 15 ounces chunk white albacore tuna in water
- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, finely diced
- 2 cups cilantro, lightly packed and chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 head boston lettuce
- 24 baked corn tortilla chips
- Place tuna in a medium bowl and break into large pieces with a fork.
- Add tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice, peppers, and salt.
- Stir to mix.
- Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes or up to 6 hours.
- Line plates with lettuce leaves and top with tuna salad.
- Serve with chips.
I didn't try this recipe, per se, but I make tuna this way all the time for myself and my Mexican hubby (we don't use lettuce with it, though; he likes to scoop it up with broken tostada shells, and I like to use it as a filling for wraps). The combination of the tuna with the veggies, cilantro, lime juice and salt is such a nice change from mayo-based tuna salad. It has a very bright and fresh flavor, and it's a fairly healthful light meal to boot. Personally, I think the jalapeno is a must (maybe in lesser amounts for those with more sensitive palates) - it just adds a nice kick. Pointers from personal "bare cupboard" experiences: don't bother with dried cilantro (EVER!) or bottled lime juice here, because it's just not worth it. Fresh, fresh, fresh is the only way to go with this one!
This is basically pico de gallo with...I've been making this for years but with the white onions and also with shrimp or crab meat. My family and friends love my "shrimp pico" as an appetizer served with-- of course tortilla chips.
This stuff was fantastic. It was a huge hit with me..... I will never make tuna the old way again. it was so fresh. I however didn't have any jalapenos so i put 1/4 cup of tabasco and 2 tbsp of chili powder for a kick. the tabasco gave it even more a a twangy taste. I will be eating this the next three days! i ate it with ritz pita chips.... FANTASTIC! thank you