Mexican Tres Leche Cake
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream 1 cup of sugar and the butter until well blended.
- Add the eggs and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until foamy.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, gently mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased square cake pan and bake in a preheated oven (350°F) for 30 minutes; allow cake to cool.
- Whisk the condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk and rum together until well blended.
- Pour mixture over the cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Whisk the heavy cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar and vanilla extract, and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this cream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Cut into squares.