Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- In another bowl, cream 1 cup of sugar and the butter until well blended.
- Add the eggs and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract and beat until foamy.
- Gently fold in the flour mixture, gently mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Pour into a lightly greased square cake pan and bake in a preheated oven (350°F) for 30 minutes; allow cake to cool.
- Whisk the condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk and rum together until well blended.
- Pour mixture over the cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Whisk the heavy cream until it begins to thicken.
- Add 1 teaspoon sugar and vanilla extract, and continue whisking until stiff peaks form.
- Spread this cream over the top and sides of the cake.
- Cut into squares.
I've made this cake twice. It's so delicious and you can't get enough. I baked the cake for 45 mins. at 325 degrees in a 7.5"x12" Pyrex pan and it was perfect. After baking, I poked holes all over the cake with a fork so the liquid would soak in. I substituted 1 TBSP vanilla for the rum.
This is very good. The first time I forgot to put the plastic wrap over the soaking cake, and we ended up with a cake float. The second time I followed the instructions explicitly and it turned out fine. Note to eaters: this is also very good without the frosting... try a little whipped cream and fresh berries on top... YUM. Thanks for posting Mille®™!
This cake tasted great and received many compliments. I made it the evening before a party. By the time I took it out of the pan, the next day it was quite soggy (more like flan than cake). It looked fine after I frosted it and garnished it. I think next time though I will use a little less milk and make it the day of my party.