Recipe by English_Rose
Enjoy a spicy taste of Mexico with this simple and flavourful recipe for a hearty vegetable soup.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mild chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, in juice
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 zucchini, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cabbage, shredded
- 2 ounces green beans, chopped into 1in lengths
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 red chile
- dried oregano, crumbled
For the garnish
- 3⁄4 lb corn tortilla
- 5 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
For the home-made salsa
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2-1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and half the garlic and fry, stirring often, for 5-8 minutes or until the onion is softened, then stir in the paprika and chili powder, and cumin.
- Cook the spices for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes with their juices, and then add the carrot, zuchhini, cabbage, green beans and vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer over a medium heat until the vegetables are tender (that is, verging on the soft rather than al dente) for around 10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining garlic along with the fresh chili and oregano.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by mixing together the onion, garlic, salt, chilli and cilantro.
- Warm the soup through and serve in bowls garnished with a handful of tortilla chips, a sprinkling of cilantro leaves and a wedge of lime, with the salsa on the side.