Recipe by Luvfood
This is a recipe from Tyler Florence. Really comforting and delicious. See my recipe for the stock on Zaar, it is really simple to make. I don't dress up my soup with all the extra's. Only the lime and cilantro it adds that special yum factor and balances out the heat!
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
My husband and I REALLY enjoyed this. I have to admit I was skeptical because there are so few seasonings. To my surprise, it was spectacular! I added a 14oz. can of diced tomatoes, then added rotisserie chicken to the soup and allowed it to simmer along with the broth. I used all the suggested toppings. IMO the avocado, cilantro and lime are a must! I used pepper jack cheese w/ jalapenos, no salt & pepper. Just divine! Thanks Luvsfood!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- corn tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken (about)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
- Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.
- Top with the diced avocado and crushed tortilla and cheese if using.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.