1/1 Photo of Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup
This is a recipe from Tyler Florence. Really comforting and delicious. See my recipe for the stock on Zaar, it is really simple to make. I don't dress up my soup with all the extra's. Only the lime and cilantro it adds that special yum factor and balances out the heat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 8 cups chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- corn tortilla chips, crushed (optional)
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken (about)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled, and diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
- 1Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeno, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
- 2Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.
- 4Top with the diced avocado and crushed tortilla and cheese if using.
- 5Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (627 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.6
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 824.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 57.2 g