Japanese Delight's Note:
Tyler Florence Recipe
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil, for pan-frying
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
- 1Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 2Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
- 3Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of canola oil in a skillet over medium-high flame.
- 5When the oil begins to smoke, add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until they are crisp on all sides.
- 6Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.
- 7Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.
- 8Top with the diced avocado and fried tortilla strips (and cheese if using).
- 9Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (650 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.6
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 419.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 25.5 g