Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Tyler Florence Recipe
Make and share this Mexican Tortilla Chicken Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 3 ripe medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 quart chicken stock
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil, for pan-frying
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges, for serving
- Place a stockpot over medium heat and coat with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, and tomatoes; cook, stirring for 15 minutes until the vegetables are cooked down and pulpy.
- Pour in the stock, season with salt and pepper, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1-inch of canola oil in a skillet over medium-high flame.
- When the oil begins to smoke, add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until they are crisp on all sides.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt while they are still hot.
- Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and put a pile of shredded chicken on top of each.
- Top with the diced avocado and fried tortilla strips (and cheese if using).
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.