Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is quite easy to put together! You can also make this using leftover cooked turkey. You can use as much shredded cheese as desired.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken or 3 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned green chili, drained and chopped (or use diced tomatoes with green chilies added)
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (mild or spicy)
- 9 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups grated Mexican blend cheese (or to taste, or use grated cheddar cheese)
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan combine the cooked chicken or turkey, black beans, diced tomatoes, green chilies, garlic, cumin, pepper and cayenne; simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes then season with salt to taste.
- In another saucepan combine both soups and the enchilada sauce; cook stirring for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon 1/3 of the soup/enchilada mixture into bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with three tortillas, then spoon HALF of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then spoon 1/3 of the soup/enchilada mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with about 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Top with another 3 tortillas.
- Repeat the layers once, with remaining chicken mixture, then soup/enchilada sauce, then about 1 cup shredded cheese, then ending up with the tortillas on top.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 cups shredded cheese.
- Cover loosley with foil (make certain that the cheese does not touch the foil or it will stick to the foil).
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa.