Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is quite easy to put together! You can also make this using leftover cooked turkey. You can use as much shredded cheese as desired.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken or 3 1⁄2 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup diced tomato, drained
- 1 -2 tablespoon canned green chili, drained and chopped (or use diced tomatoes with green chilies added)
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce (mild or spicy)
- 9 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 3 cups grated Mexican blend cheese (or to taste, or use grated cheddar cheese)
- sour cream
- shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a saucepan combine the cooked chicken or turkey, black beans, diced tomatoes, green chilies, garlic, cumin, pepper and cayenne; simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes then season with salt to taste.
- In another saucepan combine both soups and the enchilada sauce; cook stirring for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon 1/3 of the soup/enchilada mixture into bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with three tortillas, then spoon HALF of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas, then spoon 1/3 of the soup/enchilada mixture over the chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with about 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Top with another 3 tortillas.
- Repeat the layers once, with remaining chicken mixture, then soup/enchilada sauce, then about 1 cup shredded cheese, then ending up with the tortillas on top.
- Sprinkle with 1-2 cups shredded cheese.
- Cover loosley with foil (make certain that the cheese does not touch the foil or it will stick to the foil).
- Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with shredded lettuce, sour cream and salsa.