1/1 Photo of Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
1 hr 25 mins
Johnsonville Sausage's Note:
This dish takes the traditional casserole and adds elements of Mexican cuisine and your favorite breakfast ingredients. Onion, bell pepper, garlic, green chilies and cilantro add bold, authentic flavors to the dish. For a tasty bonus, crushed tortillas are used to give this recipe a fun and playful texture. Together with eggs and Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links you’ve got a winning combination that’ll take the boredom out of breakfast.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (12 ounce) packages Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced mild green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 10 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1Cook sausages according to package directions; cut into ¼-inch slices; set aside.
- 2In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender.
- 3Stir in garlic and chili pepper; cook for 1 additional minute.
- 4Add sausage and chilies; set aside.
- 5In a bowl, combine cheeses, green onion and cilantro.
- 6In a greased, 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, sprinkle one third of tortilla chips.
- 7Follow with one-half of the sausage mixture and one-half of the cheese mixture; repeat.
- 8In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper sauce; pour over layered ingredients.
- 9Sprinkle with remaining tortilla chips.
- 10Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 11Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 190.2 mg
- Sodium 620.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links