Recipe by Johnsonville Sausage
This dish takes the traditional casserole and adds elements of Mexican cuisine and your favorite breakfast ingredients. Onion, bell pepper, garlic, green chilies and cilantro add bold, authentic flavors to the dish. For a tasty bonus, crushed tortillas are used to give this recipe a fun and playful texture. Together with eggs and Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links you’ve got a winning combination that’ll take the boredom out of breakfast.
- 2 (12 ounce) packages Johnsonville Hot & Spicy Breakfast Sausage Links
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red sweet bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced mild green chilies
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups coarsely crushed tortilla chips
- 10 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook sausages according to package directions; cut into ¼-inch slices; set aside.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and bell pepper in oil until almost tender.
- Stir in garlic and chili pepper; cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add sausage and chilies; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine cheeses, green onion and cilantro.
- In a greased, 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish, sprinkle one third of tortilla chips.
- Follow with one-half of the sausage mixture and one-half of the cheese mixture; repeat.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper sauce; pour over layered ingredients.
- Sprinkle with remaining tortilla chips.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350ºF for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.