ROBIN PENA's Note:
It is a Mexican steak sandwich which is nothing like you've had before. Don't let the long recipe scare you off, it's really easy--it just takes a lot of words to explain each step. This is an authentic meal my husband grew up on in Mexico. You won't find anything like it at Taco Bell, I promise.
My Private Note
large s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -8 thin sliced sandwich steaks (especially good with very thin sliced ribeye, but I usually use what Publix supermarket calls "roula)
- 1 -2 cup breadcrumbs (for dredging steaks)
- 2 -3 eggs
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 4 good quality sub hot dog buns or 2 loaves French bread
- sour cream (approx 3/4 cup)
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage (fround or with skins removed)
- 8 ounces queso fresco (or feta cheese)
- shredded lettuce
- sliced tomato
- 2 avocados (peeled and sliced thinly)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1Dredge steaks in egg and breadcrumbs, set aside.
- 2Heat about 1/4 inch oil in a large non-stick skillet to medium heat.
- 3Test temp of oil by sprinkling some breadcrumbs into oil.
- 4If they do nothing the oil is too cold, if they burn the oil is too hot, if they sizzle but don't burn it's ready.
- 5Fry steaks a few at a time about 3 minutes or so on each side (just until they are golden brown).
- 6Put steaks in a warm oven to keep warm while you continue with the next steps.
- 7In a small skillet brown chorizo until cooked through, about 5-6 minutes; drain on paper towel and set aside.
- 8To assemble sandwiches: you might want to heat bread in a warm oven, but every time I do this step the bread is still cold by the time I am done assembling so I have started to skip this step.
- 9If using French bread, half or other wise cut loaf to the size you want for your sandwiches.
- 10Then split the bread (or sub buns) down the center and scoop out excess bread.
- 11To each sandwich you will do the following: to the top half spread liberally with sour cream; sprinkle with crumbled queso fresco.
- 12Set aside.
- 13To the bottom half spread with refried beans (I just spread it straight from the can with a butter knife).
- 14Sprinkle with 1/4 of the chorizo.
- 15Put 1-2 steaks (depending on the size of your steaks) on top of chorizo in one layer.
- 16Top with shredded lettuce.
- 17Then add the sliced tomato.
- 18Followed by the avocado slices.
- 19Then the onions.
- 20Add the sandwich top and open really wide!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tortas De Milanesa
Serving Size: 1 (1740 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 955.9
- Calories from Fat 526
- Total Fat 58.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 182.7 mg
- Sodium 1632.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 41.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: