Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
My GD asked for a Mexican feast for her 11th birthday party/family dinner. Prep time is a guess since I won't be making this until September. Posted for WZT3.
- 6 ounces raw almonds, in their skins
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- butter, for greasing
- Lightly butter an 8-in round cake pan and line with parchment.
- Put the almonds in a food processor to form a crumbly mixture and set aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy then beat in eggs, almonds, almond and vanilla extracts.
- Stir in flour and salt and mix until the flour is well incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the greased pan and smooth the surface. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes until the cake feels spongy when pressed.
- Remove from oven and cool on a rack. To serve, dust the cake with powdered sugar and decorate with toasted almonds.