Recipe by IngridH
This is an outstanding alternative to canned enchilada sauce.
Top Review by irene1951
Made this sauce to use for BEEF BURRITOS. Added one chipotle chili in adobo sauce (removing some of the seeds). Was great with a bit of heat but no burn. I also substituted a 16oz jar of tomato passata instead of tomatoes. Very easy recipe.
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tomatoes, and reserve the juice.
- Chop the tomatoes, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, jalapeno and garilc.
- Cook until onion is translucent, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, and all remaining ingedients, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens sllightly.
- Using a food processor or hand blender, puree the sauce.