This is an outstanding alternative to canned enchilada sauce.
Make and share this Mexican Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- Drain the tomatoes, and reserve the juice.
- Chop the tomatoes, and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion, jalapeno and garilc.
- Cook until onion is translucent, but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, and all remaining ingedients, and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for 20 - 30 minutes, or until the sauce thickens sllightly.
- Using a food processor or hand blender, puree the sauce.
Made this sauce to use for BEEF BURRITOS. Added one chipotle chili in adobo sauce (removing some of the seeds). Was great with a bit of heat but no burn. I also substituted a 16oz jar of tomato passata instead of tomatoes. Very easy recipe.
Very nice Mexican-flavored sauce! As written not as spicy as we normally like; I added about a teaspoon of hot chili powder to kick it up a bit. Used this in Chicken Enchilada Soup (Chicken Enchilada Soup) for the enchilada sauce and it worked well. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Tasty sauce. Much milder then our regular enchilada sauce. Made as written. While this is very tasty and I would use this on chicken or to make saucy burritos would not use on enchiladas. Thanks so much for the post.