Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My family loves this soup. Very refreshing and good Tex-Mex flavor. Good served with polenta. Adapted from a Moosewood recipe.
Top Review by Yaffa
Delicious! Didn't have enough tomato juice so I used one can of diced tomatoes. Incredibly easy and wonderful. Also used mozzarella cheese since I didn't have monterey jack. Still wonderful! Thanks very much.
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 large lime, juice of (1/4 cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- hot pepper sauce, to taste
- tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a big pot, over low heat, saute the garlic and cumin in hot oil for 1 minute (don't let the garlic brown).
- Add in the tomato juice, fresh tomatoes, lime juice, and cilantro; stir to combine.
- Let simmer for several minutes.
- Add hot sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
- To serve, put broken up tortilla chips in shallow soup bowls; add soup and top with Monterey Jack cheese.