Recipe by IsisShuru
Retrieved from a Cooking Light mag, I had to make a few adjustments... This is an easy and hearty meal. Also great to save leftovers for lunch the next day!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2⁄3 cup Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- 4 tablespoons soymilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese or 1⁄4 cup queso fresco
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in medium sized pan, or Dutch oven and saute onion. Add chili powder and garlic, saute for another 30 seconds.
- Add broth, water, oregano, salt, pepper, beans, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Prepare dumplings, drop small balls into soup. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes or until dumplings are done.
- Add cilantro and lime juice. Serve in bowls, topped with cheese. Makes 4-5 servings.