I found this recipe in a cooking light magazine and thought it tasted great and was very simple to make. The only part that didn't work so well was getting my dumplings to cook as there wasn't a whole lot of liquid left after adding the beans and tomatoes. So, I am going to try adding just a little more vegetable broth or water next time so that my dumplings cook up better. I just really like the taste of this soup.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (garbanzo beans)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup masa harina or 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1To prepare soup, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Add onion; saute 3 minutes or until tender.
- 3Add chili powder and garlic; saute 30 seconds.
- 4Add broth and next 6 ingredients (through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 5To prepare dumplings, combine masa harina or cornmeal and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- 6Add 3 tablespoons hot water and 1 teaspoon oil; stir until a soft dough forms (dough will be dry).
- 7Divide dough into 24 pieces, shaping each into a ball. Add dumplings to soup; cook, uncovered, 3 minutes or until dumplings float.
- 8Stir in cilantro and juice.
- 9Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon queso fresco.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tomato-Bean Soup With Corn Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.1
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 594.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: