1/1 Photo of Mexican Tamale Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Easy way to make Tamales (or close to them). Good flavor. If you don't like the corn grit flavor go completely away from the Mexican version and use Bis-Quick on top. This would not be a tamale but some people may prefer it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute the meat& onions over moderately-high heat until the meat is cooked& the onions are tender (about 5 minutes) Add half the green pepper& all the garlic.
- 2Saute 3 minutes.
- 3Add the chili powder,oregano.
- 42 tbsp water& the vinegar.
- 5Lower the heat cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 6Stir in the remaining pepper.
- 7While the meat is simmering pour the milk& salt in a saucepan& heat over moderately low heat.
- 8Slowly whisk in the corn grits, simmer stirring often for 3-4 minutes until it comes to a full boil.
- 9Pour the beef mixture into a 9" pie plate.
- 10Cover with the corn and then pour the grits evenly over top.
- 11Bake in 350F oven for about 20 minutes or until the grits topping is firm and the meat mixture bubbles.
- 12Cut into wedges and serve.
- 13The grits will hold it's wedge shape but the meat mixture will be spooned out.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tamale Pie
Serving Size: 1 (315 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.9
- Calories from Fat 410
- Total Fat 45.5 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 59.2 mg
- Sodium 113.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 10.9 g