Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy way to make Tamales (or close to them). Good flavor. If you don't like the corn grit flavor go completely away from the Mexican version and use Bis-Quick on top. This would not be a tamale but some people may prefer it!
- 1⁄2 lb ground round beef
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, monced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup caned corn kernel
- 1⁄2 cup stoneground yellow corn grits
- Saute the meat& onions over moderately-high heat until the meat is cooked& the onions are tender (about 5 minutes) Add half the green pepper& all the garlic.
- Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the chili powder,oregano.
- 2 tbsp water& the vinegar.
- Lower the heat cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining pepper.
- While the meat is simmering pour the milk& salt in a saucepan& heat over moderately low heat.
- Slowly whisk in the corn grits, simmer stirring often for 3-4 minutes until it comes to a full boil.
- Pour the beef mixture into a 9" pie plate.
- Cover with the corn and then pour the grits evenly over top.
- Bake in 350F oven for about 20 minutes or until the grits topping is firm and the meat mixture bubbles.
- Cut into wedges and serve.
- The grits will hold it's wedge shape but the meat mixture will be spooned out.
Excellent in every way and one I'll make again and again. With very lean meat, this is actually even relatively low calorie while still tasting fabulous! I made this almost exactly as written. The only difference was that I used red pepper since they were on sale, and when I realized I didn't have enough chili powder, I added in just a bit of cayenne pepper (and kind of liked the kick!). The grits part of this recipe helped offset some of the spice, too. As another healthy side, I made this with Lemony Black-Eyed Pea and Cilantro Salad, and I liked them together, but I could see others thinking that it's a little too much flavor all at once. Thank you for sharing such a goodie that is pretty healthy, too!
Holy Tamale! Good! This waited a long time to be reviewed. I did make a couple of changes. I added 4 ounces cheddar cheese to the meat mixture which helped it stay together. I used creamed corn which worked out great. I used quick Grits. Made it in the microwave using 2 cups of milk to 1/2 cup grits, cooked for 4 minutes then stirred in 4 ounces of cheddar cheese and a diced jalapeno. Oh I also cooked all the pepper at one time along with the onions. Thanks Bergy for a good home cooked meal.
I used 1 pound of ground turkey and cornmeal instead of grits. My family liked it and I will make it again.