Recipe by RedVinoGirl
This is a DELICIOUS and healthy way to make tacos carnitas! It's not spicy but the meat if fall-apart tender and flavorful! It's super easy to make. If you want it spicier, you may want to up the seasoning. Cooked as is, it's perfect for my kids to eat. I usually just spice up my individual taco to my liking. Enjoy! NOTE: If your crockpot cooks hot (like mine!) I cook this on low for 4 hours and it's PERFECT!
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, fresh and snipped
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, boneless (can use pork shoulder roast)
- 2 onions, large and cut into wedges
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 corn tortillas (4-6 inch size)
- cilantro, fresh and chopped (to taste)
- green onion, finely chopped (to taste)
- green chili salsa (to taste)
- lime (optional, wedged)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together the ground ancho chili pepper, coriander, garlic, oregano, orange peel, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add pork to bowl and toss to coat with the spices.
- In a 4 quart slow cooker, place pork mixture, top with onion wedges.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, orange juice, and honey until honey dissolves. Pour over all.
- Cover, cook on low setting for 9-10 hours or high setting for 4-5 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove meat from cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred the meat, discard any fat. Drizzle meat with some of the cooking liquid.
- Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warm.
- To serve, top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the meat, cilantro and green onions. Serve with salsa and, if desired, lime wedges.