9 hrs 25 mins
This is a DELICIOUS and healthy way to make tacos carnitas! It's not spicy but the meat if fall-apart tender and flavorful! It's super easy to make. If you want it spicier, you may want to up the seasoning. Cooked as is, it's perfect for my kids to eat. I usually just spice up my individual taco to my liking. Enjoy! NOTE: If your crockpot cooks hot (like mine!) I cook this on low for 4 hours and it's PERFECT!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano, fresh and snipped
- 1 teaspoon orange peel, finely shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs pork tenderloin, boneless (can use pork shoulder roast)
- 2 onions, large and cut into wedges
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 corn tortillas (4-6 inch size)
- cilantro, fresh and chopped (to taste)
- green onion, finely chopped (to taste)
- green chili salsa (to taste)
- lime (optional, wedged)
- 1In a large bowl, stir together the ground ancho chili pepper, coriander, garlic, oregano, orange peel, black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add pork to bowl and toss to coat with the spices.
- 2In a 4 quart slow cooker, place pork mixture, top with onion wedges.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, orange juice, and honey until honey dissolves. Pour over all.
- 4Cover, cook on low setting for 9-10 hours or high setting for 4-5 hours.
- 5Use a slotted spoon to remove meat from cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred the meat, discard any fat. Drizzle meat with some of the cooking liquid.
- 6Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until warm.
- 7To serve, top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the meat, cilantro and green onions. Serve with salsa and, if desired, lime wedges.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tacos Carnitas - for the Crock-Pot!
Serving Size: 1 (378 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.2
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 99.7 mg
- Sodium 320.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 35.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground ancho chili pepper