Prep 12 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love beans, rice, and calabacitas as much as the next person, but sometimes you want something lighter. This is perfect.
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes (4 medium to large)
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1⁄2 medium red onion (use the whole onion if flavor is very mild)
- 2 cucumbers, peeled and halved lengthwise
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 -4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle chile
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 2 roasted red peppers, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch-wide strips (for garnish) (optional)
- Cut the tomatoes vertically into 8 to 12 wedges each, depending on their size (or simply chop). Thaw the frozen corn in a colander. Slice the onion as thinly as possible. Seed the cucumbers and slice into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
- To make the dressing, crush the garlic into a paste on a cutting board with the side of a chef's knife, or use a mortar and pestle. Combine the garlic, minced chiles, chipotle puree, and cilantro with the lime juice.
- Place all the vegetables in a large bowl. Just before serving, drizzle the dressing over the top and stir gently to mix. Top with roasted pepper strips.
- ** Look for chipotle chilies canned in adobo sauce. Puree the whole can and store in a jar in the refrigerator. They keep quite a while and are perfect for jazzing up all manner of foods. Use sparingly, though -- it's hot!
What a little surprise! I really enjoyed this salad :) I will definitely make this again! Thanks for posting.
Yumm, this is really tasty. I love the dressing- it is zippy with no fat. Yeay. All the ingredients go well together and it is easy to make. Thanks for posting, would make this again.