Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Tasty! Probably "Mexican" in style rather than in authenticity, but all the same is delicious. :)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 24 shrimp, raw, peeled and deveined
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted red peppers, chopped (orange or yellow work fine, too)
- 2 tablespoons carrots, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, snipped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups lettuce, finely shredded
- 1 lemons or 1 lime wedge
- Heat water, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper to boiling in a 4-quart Dutch oven; reduce heat.
- Simmer uncovered until reduced to 2/3 cup.
- Add shrimp.
- Cover and simmer 3 minutes; do NOT overcook.
- Immediately remove shrimp from liquid with slotted spoon; place in bowl of iced water.
- Simmer liquid until reduced to 2 T; cool.
- Mix reduced liquid, shrimp and remaining ingredients except shredded lettuce and lemon wedges in a glass or plastic bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving place 1/4 cup lettuce on each of 6 serving dishes.
- Divide shrimp mixture among dishes.
- Garnish with lemon wedges.
We loved this recipe. We made this with another recipe called Azteca Soup from Recipezaar. A very nice flavorful dish to go with soups.
This is a mexican shrimp cocktail!!!!! I make this about once a month and add octopus, squid, scallops, crab meat, and its is soooo yummy, I got the recipe from my mother in law who is from Cabo san Licas. She adds other veggies, no carrots, or roasted red peppers, but sometimes celery or diced radishes
This is not a bad recipe, however, this is not a mexican shrimp cocktail. It sounds like a tasty shrimp dish though.