1 hr 10 mins
Az B's Note:
from Better Homes & Gardens Mexican Edition
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large bulb of garlic, peeled and coarsly chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices firm textured bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces queso fresco, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe tomato, cored, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, broiled, grilled or chopped (optional)
- 1In a small heavy saucepan, cook garlic in hot oil over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until very soft and golden. Drain, reserving the oil.
- 2In a medium saucepan combine garlic and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover.
- 3Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- 4Preheat oven to 325°F On a baking sheet toast bread cubes about 1o minute or until dry through, but not brown. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the reserved garlic oil, toss to coat.
- 5Bake 5 more minutes or until croutons are golden.
- 6Season broth mixture to taste with salt.
- 7Divide the avocado, queso fresco, tomato, and green onions among warm bowls. Add soup. Top with croutons.
- 8**Any remaining garlic oil can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours and used on salad dressing, omelets, etc.
- 9**To make ahead, prepare soup and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to a boil just before serving.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Roasted Garlic Soup
Serving Size: 1 (466 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 378.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1134.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: