Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
from Better Homes & Gardens Mexican Edition
- 1 large bulb of garlic, peeled and coarsly chopped
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 slices firm textured bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces queso fresco, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large ripe tomatoes, cored, seeded and diced
- 4 green onions, broiled, grilled or chopped (optional)
- In a small heavy saucepan, cook garlic in hot oil over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes or until very soft and golden. Drain, reserving the oil.
- In a medium saucepan combine garlic and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°F On a baking sheet toast bread cubes about 1o minute or until dry through, but not brown. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the reserved garlic oil, toss to coat.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until croutons are golden.
- Season broth mixture to taste with salt.
- Divide the avocado, queso fresco, tomato, and green onions among warm bowls. Add soup. Top with croutons.
- **Any remaining garlic oil can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours and used on salad dressing, omelets, etc.
- **To make ahead, prepare soup and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to a boil just before serving.