1/1 Photo of Mexican Style Quinoa
Kozmic Blues's Note:
I threw this together last night to have on hand to take for lunches. Similar to Mexican Rice, only made with the nutritional powerhouse, Quinoa! This began as an attempt to use of some left-over homemade tomato soup I had in the fridge. This recipe is open to many interpretations and additions. I encourage you to experiment. A can of rinsed and drained black beans or garbanzos would be nice, or some chopped fresh cilantro or tomatoes too. Also a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes can be uses in place of the tomato sauce plus water. One note: the Southwest seasoning I use is by Pampered Chef, but you can easily substitute cajun seasoning, or a mix of garlic poweder, onion powder, oregano, and paprika
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning (Pampered Chef)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, washed and drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1Heat oil in a saute pan and saute garlic and onions until translucent.
- 2Shake in about 1 tsp Southwest Seasoning and stir to coat.
- 3Add diced green peppers and stir to coat, saute about a minute.
- 4Toss in the rinsed quinoa to toast along with the chopped veggies.
- 5Add the tomato sauce plus the water and bring to a boil.
- 6Add pepper and salt to taste.
- 7Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- 8Stir in green chillies, chili powder, and cumin.
- 9Cook another 2-4 minutes until hot.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Style Quinoa
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 154.8
- Calories from Fat 45
- Total Fat 5.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 590.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: