Recipe by Cook4_6
You can dress up this soup with a colorful garnish of chopped avocado and tomato. Serve with warmed corn tortillas.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders 2008 Tag. This is an excellent soup. Very easy and very tasty. The only thing that I would suggest is that the lime be added to the individual servings as not everyone likes the taste of lime in their soup. My DH thought it was a bit on the limey side, but then again, my lime was juicier most limes. Thanks for posting this Cooks4_6. I will be making this again.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb boneless pork loin, cut into cubes
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 serrano chilies, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup long-grain rice
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, minced fresh
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown the pork:In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm 1 Tbs. of the olive oil. Working in batches if needed to avoid crowding, add the pork and cook until golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate.
- Simmer the soup: Reduce the heat to medium and warm the remaining 1 Tbs. oil. Add the onion, garlic, chilies and rice and stir to coat with the oil. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Finish the soup:Return the pork to the pan, stir in the cilantro and lime juice, and cook until the pork is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.