1/1 Photo of Mexican-Style Pasta With Chicken and Peppers
I just tried this yummy low calorie recipe. It was very quick and easy since I used leftover chicken. Taken from Time Life's Fast, Fresh and Delicious cookbook. After tasting it, I can guess that shredded cheese and red pepper flakes would also go very well with it. Hope you like it too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 4 plum tomatoes or 6 whole canned tomatoes, well drained
- 3 scallions
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 3/4 lb vermicelli or 3/4 lb other thin pasta
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (omit if using regular chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro stem (optional)
- 1In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth, garlic, cumin and chili powder to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 2Meanwhile, coarsely chop the tomatoes, scallions and bell pepper. Break the vermicelli into 2-inch pieces.
- 3Add the chicken to the boiling broth, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set it aside to cool slightly.
- 4In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the vermicelli and cook, stirring, until the vermicelli is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 5Add the broth mixture, tomatoes, scallions, bell pepper, green chilies and salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked, about 7 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Mince the cilantro (if using).
- 7Stir the shredded chicken and cilantro into the pasta mixture and serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Pasta With Chicken and Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (354 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.1
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 24.2 mg
- Sodium 424.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 19.6 g