Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Sort of like a meatball version of Chile Colorado!
- 3 6-inch corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 lb smoked or cured ham, ground or minced finely in food processor
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup Mexican red sauce (enchilada sauce)
- 1 cup beef broth
- Place tortilla pieces and milk in large bowl; let stand 15 minutes.
- Mix in remaining ingredients except red sauce and broth.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Heat red sauce and broth to boiling in 10-inch skillet; reduce heat.
- Add meatballs.
- Cover and simmer until done, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring/turning occasionally. Serve with beans and rice.
- Note: for a wonderful red sauce, try using Rich and Flavorful Enchilada Sauce #103145! :)
- This is an adopted recipe.