Recipe by Kozmic Blues
Another great recipe that I adapted to be "meatless" from Everyday with Rachel Ray. To make the white sauce, I actually had to use whole wheat pastry flour and skim milk, because that is what I had on hand. I think it turned out great, BUT feel free to use the standard white flour and whole milk. Also, watch the heat on the poblano peppers. My peppers were a bit on the small side so I roasted 5 instead of 4!! My first attempt at this recipe came out a bit spicy for Lauren, but PERFECT for me. Make sure you scape ALL the seeds out before adding to the sauce if you not a fan of too much heat : >
- 4 poblano chiles
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta (penne, elbows or shells)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 1⁄2 cups Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 avocado, cut into small cubes
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler to high.
- Broil the poblanos on a pan until charred on all sides, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Place in a bowl covered with plastic wrap or in a paper bag and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and chop.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is boiling, in a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the butter and stir to melt.
- Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the vegetable broth, then the milk, and bring to a simmer.
- Season with the cumin, coriander and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the cheese and cook, stirring, until melted.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce and reserved poblanos.
- Top with the tomatoes, avocado and scallions and drizzle with the lime juice.