Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a great, hearty wheat-free recipe from the folks at Everyday Food. It was originally published online at http://www.pbs.org/everydayfood/recipes/mexican_lasagna.html.
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 dash salt and pepper
- 10 ounces baby spinach leaves
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa (mild or medium)
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a food processor, combine cilantro, scallions, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper with as much spinach as will fit; pulse, adding remaining spinach in batches, until coarsely chopped.
- 2. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Lay 4 tortillas in bottom of dish (they will overlap slightly). Layer with half of beans, salsa, spinach mixture, and cheese; repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheese and pressing in gently.
- 3. Cover dish with foil; place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until bubbling, 25 to 30 minutes; remove foil, and continue baking until golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
The entire family enjoyed this "lasagna." Quick and easy to prepare. I find chopping the spinach by hand gives it a better texture.