1/5 Photos of Mexican-Style Green Chile Chicken Casserole
This casserole is even better the next day, that is if it even makes it overnight! ---you may omit the jalapeno pepper if desired, we like onions so I always use two and lots of fresh garlic, you can increase the green chiles to whatever amount you desire, and use as much shredded cheese and cooked chicken as desired, the amounts listed are only a guideline, this also works well with cooked turkey, prep time does not include cooking the chicken --- this is *very* good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups canned green chilies, drained (can use more!)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- salt and pepper
- 24 corn tortillas (you might use a couple less than 24, or use as many as needed)
- 4 cups cooked chicken (or use cooked turkey)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (or to taste) or 2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded and divided (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a medium heavy pot or saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in chopped onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper, saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add in the chicken broth, green chiles, cumin and chicken soup, season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes or until heated through and combined; remove from heat.
- 5Spread about 1 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- 6Arrange 5-6 tortillas over the soup mixture, then top with about 1 cup chicken, then about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or to taste).
- 7Repeat the layers (ENDING with the cheese).
- 8Spread the remaining soup mixture over the cheese.
- 9Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Green Chile Chicken Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 504.4
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 910.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 32.0 g