Recipe by peppermintkitty
Mmmmm, this is so good made with fresh corn. I've not tried it with canned, but frozen would probably work. This recipe came from our daily paper. I was looking for something different as a side to Fahitas. We have a farmers market here and I'd just bought fresh ears of corn, so this recipe was perfect. I didn't use the jalenpenos, though. I also used bacon and not the melted butter. Dh really liked this, so I know it's a keeper for us. Hope you enjoy! Prep and cooking time are both combined to about 20 minutes total.
- 2 slices bacon, 1/4 inch thick,cut into 1/4 inch pieces or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and chopped
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups corn kernels (5 plump ears)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- If using bacon, gently cook in a heavy-bottomed 4qt.
- pot over medium heat until it just begins to turn crispy, about 8 minutes Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve.
- Remove some of the bacon fat so only about a T.
- If your using butter, simply melt in the pot Stir in onion, garlic and chiles into the bacon fat or butter and cook over medium heat, stirring every couple of minutes until the onion is translucent but not browned, about 6 min.
- Add the tomatoes, cream, reserved bacon and the corn kernels.
- Simmer this mixture for about 10 minutes, until corn is heated through.
- Stir in cilantro and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Season to your taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.