1/2 Photos of Mexican-Style Chicken Soup
Sam #3's Note:
Taken from the September 2009 issue of Chatelaine. Feeds a large or very hungry family
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 green peppers, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 onions
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (seeded if you don't want it too spicy)
- 14 -16 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 liters chicken broth
- 2 cups corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1Cut chicken into bite sized pieces.
- 2Lightly coat a large saucepan with oil and set over med-high heat.
- 3Add about 1/2 the chicken without crowding.
- 4Saute the chicken until no longer pink, about 3 minutes, remove to a very large stock/soup pot.
- 5Repeat with remaining chicken.
- 6Once all chicken has been removed, add onions, add more oil if needed.
- 7Stir until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.
- 8Stir in peppers, tomatoes, celery, jalapenos and seasoning, cook 3 more minutes.
- 9Add to stock pot, add broth.
- 10Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low.
- 11Simmer, covered and stirring occasionally until all vegetables are tender, from 10-15 minutes.
- 12Add corn during last 2 minutes of simmering.
- 13Stir in lime juice.
- 14Just before serving, top with cilantro.
- 15Soup will keep well in the fridge for 3 days or in the freezer for 3 mths.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Chicken Soup
Serving Size: 1 (453 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.3
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 100.2 mg
- Sodium 917.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 31.7 g