1/1 Photo of Mexican-Style Chicken Sandwiches
Southern Polar Bear's Note:
This is a wonderful alternative to the standard chicken sandwich. It is from the April 1999 issue of Bon Appetit.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained, 2Tbsp liquid reserved
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 French rolls, split horizontally, lightly toasted
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices monterey jack pepper cheese (1/4 inch slices)
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 4 pieces leaf lettuce
- 1Whisk mayonnaise, lime juice and lime peel in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- 2Stir beans and cumin in a small skillet over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add reserved bean liquid.
- 4Using a fork, mash beans in skillet to course paste.
- 5Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 6Arrange French roll bottoms on plates; spread with bean mixture.
- 7Sprinkle chicken with cayenne pepper and salt.
- 8Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- 9Add chicken to skillet and saute until just cooked through, about 4 minutes per side.
- 10Top chicken with cheese slices.
- 11Cover skillet, reduce heat to low and cook until cheese melts, about 1 minute.
- 12Place chicken on bean mixture.
- 13Top with tomato, avocado, and lettuce.
- 14Spread lime mayonnaise generously on cut side of each roll top; press onto sandwich.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Chicken Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (423 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 747.3
- Calories from Fat 339
- Total Fat 37.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 753.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 47.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: