Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a spicy, healthy version of chicken parm...in a burger! The combo of sweet fruit salsa and hot pepper cheese will leave you wanting more, AND will still be lean enough to eat once a week!
- 7 ounces ground chicken breast, patty (We always grind boneless chicken breast and form patties for the freezer)
- 3 tablespoons fruit salsa (mango or pineapple work well)
- 1 ounce monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 whole wheat hamburger bun
- On grill or in skillet cook patty about 6 minutes per side, it should feel pretty firm to touch.
- Toast roll, if desired (recommended).
- Put 1 tbls salsa on bottom.
- Lay slice of cheese on top.
- Top with 2 more tbls salsa.
These burgers were delicious! I frequently cook w/ ground turkey, but had 'shunned' ground chicken b/c I thought it was too bland. Not a problem w/ this recipe! It gets extra points for being so easy to cook and for being so healthful. Nancygirl was right - the complex sweet/spicy taste will leave you wanting more! I made just about exactly as written except our patties were only 4 ounces each. I seasoned w/ salt and pepper and grilled them; 6 minutes a side was just right. The last 2 minutes I melted the cheese on; pepper jack for the boys and Jalepeno Cayenne cheese on my DH's and mine (we like it HOT!). I used 'Newman's Own' Mango Salsa (found in the Mexican section of our grocery store). I'm glad I tried this - it will be a great addition to our summer menu!