Prep 4 hrs
Cook 25 mins
A south of the border twist on a Russian classic! I usually serve some Spanish rice with this dish! Ole! Prep time includes 4 hours chilling time.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 2 ounces monterey jack cheese, cut into 4 strips
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- Pound chicken to 1/4-in thickness.
- Put about 2 tablespoons chilies and one strip of Monterey Jack cheese on long end of each chicken breast.
- Fold in sides and ends; secure with a toothpick.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the crumbs, Parmesan cheese, chili powder, salt and cumin.
- Dip chicken in 3 tablespoons melted butter, then roll in crumb mixture.
- Place chicken rolls, seam side down, in an ungreased 11x7x2-inch baking pan.
- Drizzle with remaining butter.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Bake, uncovered at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, combine picante sauce, water, cornstarch and bouillon in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove toothpicks from chicken and serve with sauce.
What a lovely meal we had with this dish. We enjoyed eating this chicken so very much. The green chiles I used were mild New Mexico green chiles, and I used pure red chile powder too, since cumin was added. The sauce added just a spicy bite, but not too much. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe.
I just had to try this! I don't do real hot, but I love the chili flavor. So I used mild chilis and cut the amount in half. This is SO good! The melted cheese, the chicken and chilis with the picante sauce (mild) was wonderful! This is going into the keeper file. Thanks Mark!
We really enjoyed this, Mark! I really like the melted cheese combined with the green chiles. My son was crazy about this - I think this would probably be a real kid pleaser with the cheese. I didn't change a thing and served with spanish rice and cold beer with lime. Excellent!