Prep 15 mins
Cook 27 mins
Great flavor and texture. Sharp Cheddar cheese can be substituted if u want a more strong taste.
- 1 teaspoon butter or 1 teaspoon margarine, melted
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup thinly sliced green onion
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Brush an 8-inch square baking pan OR 9-inch cast-iron skillet with 1 tsp melted butter.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in large bowl.
- Whisk buttermilk or yogurt, egg, sugar and remaining 3 tbsp melted butter in a medium bowl.
- Stir buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients just until blended.
- Stir in corn, Cheddar cheese and onion.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake 20-27 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Serve hot, warm or room temperature.
- Cut into 8 pieces.
This is a very nice recipe. I chose to use plain yogurt instead of buttermilk. The flavor is very nice. I live at a higher altitude (3900 ft), so it took a bit over 30 minutes to bake. Next time I make it, I would probably let it cook another 5 minutes after the toothpick comes out clean, because the center seemed to me to be a bit underdone. That is nothing wrong with the recipe, just the learning process when trying something new, not to mention that this is the first baking I have done at high altitude. I served this with a chili recipe from another site. I will definitely be making this again.
Very good! Used buttermilk and roasted corn which had been cut from the cob. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This recipe was a hit. I made it to go with a White Chili with Navy Beans recipe (#281318). It complimented it very well. I used plain yogurt and 1 c shredded cheddar cheese. I added 1 4-oz can chopped mild green chiles to enhance the flavor. I did not have the green onions, so I did without. The cornbread had an excellent flavor, but next time I think I will add some chopped jalepenos, too, for a little more kick.