Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A litle different speed from Spanish rice.
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 236.59 ml Bulgar wheat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml thinly sliced celery
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (optional)
- 3.69 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml chili powder
- 532.32 ml vegetable broth (or low-sodium beef broth)
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Melt margarine in skillet over medium-high heat; add bulgur and onion, cook until onion is tender and bulgur is golden.
- Add celery, bell pepper, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Broth.
Ooh! I am SO glad I found this recipe! It is delicious AND healthy! I used olive oil for the margarine and threw a little oregano and garlic powder in with mine; I also kept out the jalapenos as I have wee ones and substituted a sprinkle of hot pepper powder instead. Otherwise, made it as written. Thanks so much for a great recipe! I'll be making this one often!
Better and healthier and faster than Mexican rice, will do again, hot though, be careful!
This side is really great. I had printed it out a while ago, but kept putting it off because of all of the chopping/prep that was involved. After having it tonight for the first time, I have to ask myself - why did I wait so long?!