Recipe by Sue Lau
A litle different speed from Spanish rice.
Top Review by SandwichQueen
Ooh! I am SO glad I found this recipe! It is delicious AND healthy! I used olive oil for the margarine and threw a little oregano and garlic powder in with mine; I also kept out the jalapenos as I have wee ones and substituted a sprinkle of hot pepper powder instead. Otherwise, made it as written. Thanks so much for a great recipe! I'll be making this one often!
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, cored, seeded, and finely chopped (optional)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth (or low-sodium beef broth)
- salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt margarine in skillet over medium-high heat; add bulgur and onion, cook until onion is tender and bulgur is golden.
- Add celery, bell pepper, jalapeno, cumin, chili powder, and cook for 2-3 minutes, then stir in broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or so, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For Vegetarian use the Vegetable Broth.