1/2 Photos of Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
6 points per serving
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups salsa
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 15 ounces canned refried beans
- 10 ounces frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 4 ounces canned green chili peppers, mild, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach or 10 ounces collard greens, thawed and set to drain in a strainer over a bowl
- 3/4 cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, chopped (optional, for garnish)
- 1Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a 2-quart rectangular, round or oval baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2In a large bowl, combine rice, salsa and cumin. Spoon 2 cups of rice mixture into prepared baking dish and spread out to evenly cover bottom of dish.
- 3In another large bowl, combine refried beans, corn, chili peppers and chili power. Using a rubber spatula, scrape bean mixture on top of rice layer and smooth out top.
- 4Squeeze out any excess water from spinach or collard greens and then spread on top of bean layer; sprinkle with 6 tablespoons of cheese. Top with remaining rice mixture and smooth out top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 5Place casserole on a large rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage. Bake until heated through and cheese is browned and bubbling, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro (if desired), cut into 6 pieces and serve.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Brown Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 338.8
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 773.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 14.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: