Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is a combination of several recipes over the years. After several attempts this is what developed. Everyone I know who has tried it loved it, I hope you do also.
- 1 -3 lb rump roast
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package fajita seasoning mix
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced Mexican-style tomatoes (with cilantro and lime)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- flour tortilla
- quesadilla cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (garlic from a jar is fine)
- Place first 10 ingredients in the crock pot along with garlic.
- Cook on low for approx 6 hours.
- Remove beef and shred.
- Put back in the crock pot and mix with other ingredients.
- Let cook for about a hour.
- Serve meat with warm flour tortillas, salsa, and cheese.
- You may also want to include sour cream, tomatoes, etc.
This meat is just what I've been looking for to use in Mexican dishes. We love it! I used taco seasoning and salsa (instead of fajita and diced tomatoes). I also omitted the green chilies. I have used it in tacos, burritos, and enchiladas. It tastes great in all of them. Putting the shredded meat back in the sauce was an amazing and critical step to retaining moisture and flavor. :D
My family liked this. We think it was even better the next day. I used a chuck roast and thought it took longer to become tender. I also thickened the juices to a thin gravy consistency. I will make this again.
This made wonderful burritos! I used a chuck roast as I didn't have a rump roast and it was great.