1/1 Photo of Mexican-Style Beef Casserole
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
From: "The Bean Cookbook" by Norma S. Upson (1982). Hearty and filling. Brown rice usually takes about 45 minutes so I'm including that in the cooking time. *If you would like some heat or a chile flavor consider adding tabasco, jalapenos or diced mild green chilies. I just made this with salsa instead of tomatoes and added black pepper. I was very pleased with the results. A simple flavored hearty meal. I'm used to mexican dishes having cumin and it may work with this but I liked it being different and it may appeal to people who don't like cumin. I think black olives and bell pepper would be good in it too. Some people may also want to add layers of cheese but I was really surprised at how good it was without it. To cut down the fat more you could cook the onions with the ground beef and skip the butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter (original has 1/2 cup!) or 2 tablespoons margarine (original has 1/2 cup!)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (I used garlic salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, drained (I used jarred mild salsa)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, liquid reserved
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1Cook rice according to package directions, adding bouillon cube to cooking water.
- 2When the rice is nearly done, saute onion in butter.
- 3Crumble beef and add to onion with garlic, mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper. Cook until meat loses pinkness. Drain grease if needed.
- 4Layer half the meat mixture in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole.
- 5Spread cooked rice over meat.
- 6Spoon tomatoes over rice.
- 7Spoon beans with liquid over tomatoes.
- 8Put remaining meat mixture over beans.
- 9Combine paprika and cheese and sprinkle over the top.
- 10Bake uncovered at 350F for 30 minutes.
- 11I enjoyed this with sour cream.
Browse Our Top Brown Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican-Style Beef Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.9
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 47.3 mg
- Sodium 707.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 18.2 g