Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
You can add jalapeños, hot sauce or green chilies to this to add a real kick! **edited on October 24 to add instructions for Once a Month Cooking. I usually make these during a cooking blitz and freeze until I need them**
- 12 -18 large pasta shells, cooked
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning, I use Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 cup grated cheese, divided (jalapeno Monterey Jack is especially good, but cheddar will work well too.)
- 3 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- chili powder, to taste
- green onion, for garnish
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add seasoning, water, onion, and 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce,and chili powder.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan.
- Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan.
- Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.
- Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).
- If desired sprinkle additional cheese on top after baking and return to oven for 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
Wow! These were awesome! I used one package of Yves brand vegetarian ground round and 1 tbsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. chopped garlic instead of seasoning. I used marble cheese and the sauce was soooo good!!! A keeper for sure and very filling!
What a great recipe! Made this last night for the 2 of us and hubby and I both agreed it deserved 5 stars! I halved the recipe for just the 2 of us (however, I used 8 shells, not six). Used a little less onion to fit our taste, and used a mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar. Also, I didn't have any taco seasoning so I made my own: 1 T chili powder, 1/2 t salt, and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Sorry to "change" so much, but it was great either way! Had it again for lunch today; will definitely make this again!
A 5 * change for us!Had these for supper last night, will be keeping this one in my hard copy for when the grandkids visit, they'll love it, as we did! Scaled the recipe to half and had lots left for lunch today. Used 6 shells. Worked out great, nice taste and just enough heat, using medium salsa. Had to use cheddar, had no Monterey Jack. Will certainly make these again, thanks for sharing.