Recipe by * Pamela *
You can add jalapeños, hot sauce or green chilies to this to add a real kick! **edited on October 24 to add instructions for Once a Month Cooking. I usually make these during a cooking blitz and freeze until I need them**
Top Review by jellie
Wow! These were awesome! I used one package of Yves brand vegetarian ground round and 1 tbsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. chili powder and 1 tsp. chopped garlic instead of seasoning. I used marble cheese and the sauce was soooo good!!! A keeper for sure and very filling!
- 12-18 large pasta shells, cooked
- 453.59 g ground beef
- 44.37 ml taco seasoning, I use Bulk Taco Seasoning Mix
- 118.29 ml water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 354.88 ml salsa, divided
- 236.59 ml grated cheese, divided (jalapeno Monterey Jack is especially good, but cheddar will work well too.)
- 750 ml tomato sauce
- chili powder, to taste
- green onion, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add seasoning, water, onion, and 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce,and chili powder.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan.
- Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan.
- Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.
- Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).
- If desired sprinkle additional cheese on top after baking and return to oven for 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.