Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Not your typical stuffed shells!
- 12 jumbo pasta shells, prepared
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 onion, chopped i use dried onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa, divided
- 1 cup grated Mexican blend cheese, divided or 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 750 ml tomato sauce
- chili powder, to taste
- Brown ground beef and drain.
- Add seasoning, water,onion, and 1/2 cup of salsa and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Mix together remaining salsa, tomato sauce,and chili powder.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 12 baking pan.
- Fill each shell with the ground beef mixture and place in pan.
- Pour remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese on top and garnish with green onion. Cover and freeze at this point.
- Defrost overnight and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. (Cook from frozen for 2 hours at 300°F).
- If desired sprinkle additional cheese on top after baking and return to oven for 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
My spouse eats in ph 3 of South Beach as a way of life, so I use whole wheat pasta. I couldn't find whole wheat shells, so I turned this into lasagna. I used a soft mexican cheese instead of the mexican blend, ground turkey instead of beef, and I added ground red pepper and ground chipotle for some heat and smokiness. He loved it!
Really easy to make. A very good twist on stuffed shells. I always add more cheese, kept everything the same.