Recipe by Bethanna
One dish meal. Wonderful casserole that kids and adults both enjoy. Great when you want to feed a bunch of men!
Top Review by StacyMD187373
I thought this was a pretty good, easy to make dish. DH didn't care for it (but he doesn't like casseroles). I do think the meat to cornbread ratio could stand to be a bit higher. I halfed the recipe (since there's just the two of us and I figured I'd be the one eating it). If I made it again, would use twice the ground beef. I did add some taco seasoning into the ground beef along with some onion and garlic. I also added some salsa over the meat when layering. I think this helped give a little more flavor and wetness too. Oh, also added an extra layer of regular cheddar cheese b/c more cheese is always good (but I don't really care for Velveeta). Appreciate having a quick dinner and leftovers heated nicely for lunch for work. Thanks for posting!
- 1 lb ground beef
- onion powder (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- 3 cups cornmeal
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 (15 ounce) can rotel
- Velveeta cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with a little onion and garlic powder, if desired. Drain well & set aside.
- Mix cornmeal, canned corn, sugar, onion, 2 cups shredded cheese, oil, eggs, milk, and Rotel.
- Pour half of cornmeal mixture into a 13 x 9 pan sprayed with Pam.
- Sprinkle browned ground beef on top of cornmeal mixture, and top with thinly sliced Velveeta, if desired. (Adding Velveeta will make a really cheesy casserole.).
- Top with remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese on top.
- Bake at 350 for one hour.