Recipe by Bergy
Serve these with whole mushrooms, fried in butter, green salad and baked potatoes. Great!
Top Review by Derf
WOW Bergy!! What can I say!! You made my first attempt at Mexican cooking a huge success!! Did not change a thing, it was perfect as you set it down. I cut the recipe back for two and made stuffing cakes out of the extra and cooked them beside the steaks under the broiler. 6 minutes on each side. Couldn't get DH to do them on the BBQ, he said he'd never live it down if he overcooked them! So we both watched through the oven window as they cooked, it would have been sinful to have ruined them!! What a wonderful, delicious, fork tender,medium rare steak and the stuffing just added to the sumptious taste. This is a keeper even if we can only afford it once a year!!!
- 4 anaheim chilies, chopped, seed removed or 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced green chili peppers
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves (less for the timid)
- 1 tablespoon lite olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 6 beef tenderloin steaks, 1 inch thick
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a skillet and cook the onions, peppers and garlic in the tbsp of oil until tender but not brown. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese and breadcrumbs.
- While the stuffing is cooking cut a slit in each steak about 3" long and 1 1/2- 2" deep.
- Season the pockets with salt and pepper.
- Put about 2 tbsp in each steak pocket and secure with wooden toothpicks.
- Cover the steaks and chill.
- You may now BBQ them (this is how I always do them) or broil.
- To BBQ have the heat medium/high.
- Spray the grill with oil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes, flip and continue cooking until they reach desired doneness (7-9 minutes more for medium).
- Check after 5 minutes with a meat thermometer: med-rare 145°F, med 160°F, and well done 175°F.
- Slide the thermometer into the middle on the top piece of steak from the side towards the middle of the steak.
- To broil place steaks 3-4" from heat turning once allowing approx 10 minutes total time.