Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great on a cold night. You can change "hotness" to suit your taste. Leftovers are good wrapped up in burrito shells, even though we do not very often have leftovers.
- 2 lbs round steaks, trimmed and cut into 1 inch squares (or 2 lbs stew meat)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces canned mushrooms, undrained (I have also used fresh)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar picante sauce
- hot cooked rice
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In large simmer pot (Dutch oven) heat oil.
- Brown steak, onions and garlic in hot oil.
- Add water, salt, chili powder, mushrooms and picante sauce.
- Simmer uncovered on medium low heat for 1.
- 5- 2 hours until meat is tender.
- Serve over rice and garnish with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
- Could probably be cooked in a crockpot.
Very Tasty, very easy to make. Great cold day eating, warms you right up!